The city of Shanghai was known as Paris of the Orient in the past. Nowadays, Shanghai has a population of 18 million and around of 5.8 millon migrants, and is one of the most populous cities in the People's Republic of China.
Shanghai was the most prosperous and largest town in the Far East during the 1930s, and during the 1990s the city of Shanghai again it began as an attractive spot for travelers or tourists worldwide.
Districts: The city of Shanghai is divided in 2 by the Huangpu River, with the older city on the west bank known as Puxi, and the brash new development on the east side being Pudong.
Areas within Puxi:
• French Concession: leafy district was known as the Paris of the East.
• Gubei: located around of the Hongqiao airport.
• The Bund
• Nanjing Road: The street most famous of shopping in China.
• Xujiahui: Southwest part of Shanghai.
and across the river:
• Pudong: financial and commercial district on the east bank of the river
More info of Shanghai:
Township-level divisions: 220 towns and villages
Area - City: 7,037.50 km²
Population - City: 18,670,000
Postal code: 200000 - 2021000
Area code(s): +86/21
The city of Shanghai
Compare hotel rates and availability