- 200g/7oz Short-Grain White Rice
- 450g/1lb Minced Pork
- 4 Spring Onions, chopped
- 4 Whole Water Chestnuts (tinned), chopped
- 1 teasp Sugar
- 1 teasp Salt
- 2 Garlic Cloves, crushed
- 2 teasp Freshly Grated Root Ginger
- 1 teasp Sesame Oil
- 2 teasp Soy Sauce
- 2 teasp Rice Wine or Sherry
1. Place rice in a mixing bowl, cover with cold water and allow to stand for 30 minutes. Drain in a sieve, spread out onto a paper-towel-lined tray and allow to dry.
2. In a mixing bowl, mix together the pork, onions, water chestnuts, sugar, salt, garlic, ginger, sesame oil, soy sauce, and rice wine or sherry until well blended.
3. Using wet hands, divide mixture into 20 portions and shape into small balls.
4. Roll each ball in the rice until well coated.
5. Arrange the balls in a steamer which has been lined with parchment paper or banana leaves, making sure you space them well apart to allow for the rice to expand. You will have to do this in batches.
6. Cover and steam for 30 minutes, adding more boiling water if necessary.
7. To serve - carefully remove the balls and serve warm with soy sauce or Ginger Soy Dipping Sauce.