- Before go to China complete any courses of vaccinations you need. These medical vaccinations are desirable or helpful to prevent contagious diseases in China:
- Hepatitis A - or immune globulin (IG).
- Hepatitis B - if you might be exposed to blood, have sexual contact with local people, stay for more than 6 months, or be exposed to medical treatment.
- Japanese encephalitis - if you plan to visit rural areas for 4 weeks or more.
- Rabies - if you might be exposed to wild or domestic animals at your work or recreation.
- Tetanus, diphtheria and measles - booster dose as needed.
- For prevention of Malaria (common in remote areas of south China), 4-6 weeks before your trip, start taking an antimalaria drugs.
- If you have any longstanding medical conditions, or are traveling with children, consult your doctor and take any necessary medicine with you. Your doctor might also provide you up-to-date information on the status of disease outbreaks in China. Most national governments also run travel advisory websites through their State or Foreign Affairs Departments.
- If you will be traveling extensively outside the cities, take a first-aid kit with you, which include: bandages, plasters, painkillers, oral dehydration solution, kaolin, and morphine for diarrhea, vitamin pills, antiseptic cream and a sterile set of hypodermics if you will stay for a long period.
- Take your medical records along including blood type, immunization record, allergies, medications that you are taking, and your doctor's information.
- Despite water is easily accessible in China, tap water is not safe including in hotels or on the train; all water consumed must be boiled or filtered unless it is bottled mineral water. Bottled water can be bought everyplace at the station stalls and supermarkets. Boiled water is obtainable in Chinese hotels and restaurants. Just few cities, like Hong Kong and Guilin, are provided with public direct drinking water system available.
- Take some medicine before eating, even when food is prepared fresh and cooked or cleaned carefully, stomach upsets are possible.
- Ailments such as sore throats and chest colds are also probable and may occur at any time of year considering the climatic extremes of the country.