China travel guide


China Travel Guide

Red Tape and Visas

Red Tape and Visas Almost all travelers have to obtain a visa from a Chinese embassies and consulates, and through authorized tour operators and visa agents, before to enter the People's Republic of China. Hong Kong and Macau issue their own visas, which are easier to obtain and have longer duration.

Tourist visas must usually be used within six months after it was issued. They are normally valid for 30 days from the time of your entry into the country, but in Hong Kong and Macau you can often get a 3 month visa. Its cost is the local equivalent of around 40 dollars. To apply for a tourist visa you must submit an application form, two passport-size photographs, and your passport in effect for at least six months more, and pay the corresponding fee. Sometimes may be asked for a copy of any air tickets, hotel bookings, and the reason of your trip or your profession occupation. In you complete all of the requirements; you can get your visa in few days.

For a business visa, you need an official invitation from the Chinese Government. It is valid for three months and can be issued for multiple entries. Work visas also require an invitation plus a health certificate and its validity is for twelve months. Students intending to study for less than six months need an invitation from a college; those staying for longer, need besides an invitation, fill in an extra form available from embassies, and a health certificate.

Since 2,005, people from Singapore, Brunei and Japan do not require visas to enter to China for a stay of up to 15 days, regardless reason of visit.

To visit China, Hong Kong and Macau residents of Chinese origin need to apply at the China Travel Service to get a Home Travel Permit, a card that allows multiple ingresses for 10 years.

Read articles about Visas in China

Chinese Embassies and Consulates
A list of some of the most important Chinese embassies and consulates in the world.

Foreign Embassies and Consulates in China
A list of some of the most important foreign embassies in the capital Beijing, and consulates in the country.

Visa restrictions
There are some restrictions on visas for political reasons and these vary over time. The restrictions in force are...

Visa extensions
You can apply for a visa extension in the Foreign Affairs department of the Public Security Bureau (PSB)...

There are some basic rules for import and export from China...

About us | Contact us | Disclaimer | Privacy Policy | Legal Terms

© 2005 - 2021 - All Rights Reserved.